You can retire on old-age pension when you reach retirement age

Old-age pension is paid on the basis of age. You can retire on old-age pension after reaching the general retirement age.

Your personal retirement age may be higher than the general retirement age. Retiring on old-age pension before your personal retirement age affects the amount of your pension.

Occupational retirement ages that are lower than the general retirement age continue to apply to people who work in certain jobs.

You do not have to apply for pension when you reach retirement age

Reaching retirement age does not mean that you have to apply for old-age pension. You can keep working for as long as you like.

Pension will continue to accrue until the age of 68, and even longer if you were born after 1957. After eligibility for old-age pension starts, a deferment increase of 0.4% will be added to the pension for each month between the general retirement age and the actual time of retirement.

General retirement age

The general retirement age for people born before 1 January 1955 is 63.

For people born after 1 January 1955, the general retirement age is as follows:

Year of birth

General retirement age for old-age pension


63y 3m


63y 6m


63y 9m




64y 3m


64y 6m


64y 9m




to be confirmed

Are you on unemployment allowance?

You are eligible for old-age pension at the age of 62 at the earliest if

  • you were born before 1958, and
  • you have been granted additional days of unemployment allowance after the 500-day cut-off point during the month immediately preceding the beginning of your retirement.

Another alternative is to extend your unemployment allowance with additional days up the age of 65 at the most.

If you retire before reaching your personal retirement age

You can retire on old-age pension when you reach the general retirement age even if the general retirement age is lower than your personal retirement age. This will, however, result in a reduction of the pension that has accrued to you in the public sector before the year 1995.

Personal retirement age

The personal retirement age applies to you if

  • you were employed in the public sector before 1993, and
  • your public sector employment continues without interruption until you reach your personal retirement age

It pays to keep working until your reach your personal retirement age for old-age pension because then the old-age pension under public law that has accrued to you before 1995 will be paid to you in a higher amount than if you retire at the lower general retirement age.

Check your own personal retirement age in the service My Pension (only in Finnish).

Occupational retirement ages

Occupational retirement ages used to apply to certain local government, state and church jobs and allowed the people working these jobs to retire before the general retirement age.

When the occupational retirement age was discontinued, the local government and state employees to whom it applied could choose whether to keep their occupational retirement age or switch to the general retirement age. The choice of occupational retirement age will remain in effect until retirement, provided that there are no interruptions in employment.

Jobs where the occupational retirement age applies include police officers, prison guards and comprehensive school teachers. Special resignation ages that are lower than the general retirement age continue to apply to employees of the Defence Forces and the Border Guard.

Occupational retirement ages will be raised stepwise as of 2018. If the retirement age currently in effect would be reached in 2018, the new retirement age will be three months higher.

Occupational retirement age
reached in

Increase in occupational
retirement age


+ 3m


+ 6m


+ 9m


+ 1y


+ 1y 3m


+ 1y 6m


+ 1y 9m

2025 or later

+ 2y

The occupational retirement age cannot be higher than the lowest retirement age for old-age pension applicable to the age group, however.

How to apply for old-age pension

Before applying for a pension, agree with your employer about your retirement and the end of your employment. We recommend that you hand in your notice one month before you apply for old-age pension. This will smooth the transition to retirement because you should have ended your employment before you can begin to receive your pension.

We advise you to apply direct to Keva for your old-age pension. The easiest and quickest way to do this is through the My Pension online service (available in Finnish and Swedish only), which guides you step by step. Your pension application form already contains most of the information required – all you need to do is to check the information and add to it if necessary. While you are in the My Pension service, you can also apply for the national pension. We will forward your application to Kela.

File your application for old-age pension 1–2 months before retiring.

  • Application form (pdf)
  • Appendix U (pdf) (NB! If you have worked abroad and you are filing your pension application in writing, please also submit a completed Appendix U).
  • Mail the application and the enclosures to: Keva, FI-00087 KEVA 

Old-age pension always starts on the 1st of the month. In other words, your earliest pension start date is the 1st of the month following the month in which you applied for the pension. The pension may also be granted with 3 months’ retroactive effect.

Please also see the general instructions for pension applications and what to do after receiving your pension decision.

Have you worked while on pension?

Pension that has accrued for employment while on pension can only be paid after you have applied for it. Pension may be granted retroactively for a maximum period of 3 months.

Apply for pension after turning 68 if you are receiving old-age pension on the basis of employment with local government, the State, the Evangelical Lutheran Church or Kela, and you have worked in employment governed by the same pension act while on pension.

Apply for pension at the age of 63 or older if your employment while on pension is governed by different earnings-related pension acts, whether in the public or the private sector. The pension that has accrued to you for such employment will be paid to you when the employment ends, however no earlier than at the age of 63.

If you work while on pension but according to a different earnings-related pension act than the one that you are already receiving pension from, you can apply for pension accrued for that work when the employment ends. The pension will be granted at the earliest when you reach the lowest retirement age for old-age pension in your age group.

If you are on disability pension, the new pension that has accrued to you for employment while on pension will be paid to you when your disability pension is converted into old-age pension. You must also file an application for this pension.

When applying for the new pension, follow the directions for applying for old-age pension.

Learn more about working while on pension.