Changes to personal details

The online service My Pension (available in Finnish and in Swedish) is a convenient way of making changes to your personal details, for example your bank account number. Unfortunately we cannot accept any such changes over the telephone or by email.

Changes of address are reported to us automatically by the Digital and population data services agency if you make an official change of address notification to Posti. In this case you need not give us separate notification of your change of address.

Change in bank account

If you wish to change the bank account into which your pension is paid, you can report the new account number to us:

  • in the online service My Pension
  • via your bank: the bank will mail the new details to Keva under power of attorney

You can also inform us by letter sent to Keva, FI-00087 Helsinki. No formal requirements apply but the letter must contain the following information:

  • your name
  • your personal identity code
  • the new account number
  • the name of the bank, and
  • your signature.

Reporting more than one account number

If you wish to report more than one account number so that different pensions are paid into different accounts, you can use the Change in bank account form (in Finnish), give a power of attorney to your bank, or inform us by letter. Be sure to mention the type(s) of pension to which the change applies.